Wednesday 6 October 2010

Spiral Jetty by Robert Smithson

The Spiral Jetty is a huge sculpture located on a lake in Utah on the salt flats in America. For a long time I saw images of this and could never find out more because I didn't know what it was called or who made it. It is made from basalt rocks and is 1500 feet long. I like how the spiral shape can be read in so many different ways, such as a dead end or something that is never ending. I also like how it really stands out, it can even be seen from space. The Spiral Jetty is rarely visible, only when the salt lake falls below the correct level. After it was built in 1970, the water level in the lake rose and the jetty was not visible for 30 years. I like how this is alcamy; it is built from what was already there, and changed to make an interesting piece of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment