Wednesday 6 October 2010

Monika Grzymala - 4d.

This is a huge sculpture made entirely from black masking tape which is pinned across a wall and from corner to corner, linking areas together. I saw it in the Fruitmarket gallery in Edinburgh, Scotland in an exhibition called 'The End of the Line: Attitudes in Drawing.' Monika Grzymala also uses confetti, branches, and lead to make similar sculptures. To me it shows a few things, first of all it resembles line, which apart from dots is the basic structure for every piece of art. Take Vincent Van Goughs paintings for an example. I also like how it shows a mess, which is cluttered and unorganised. The basic form of this piece of art appeals to me. There are many different ways that this piece can be read, I like the way that the tape invades part of the gallery, stopping people from crossing through it almost like police 'do not cross' tape, or some form of ghost or demon invading a room. I want to get in amongst it and see how the lines move relative to one another. The Polish artist Monika Grzymala describes her work as 4d and as a drawing in space. I find this interesting because it fits well with this statement - it stands out in an empty space. I also find that this piece of work shows movement, as if the lines are spreading, therefore maybe the fourth dimension in the name could be to do with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment